Wednesday, February 21, 2007

So tired I could sleep a Giraffe...




Holy crap I'm tired. These drawings were largely done for the sake of doing drawings, and they are absolute garbage. Except for the studies from Memoir's of a Geisha. They aren't detailed, but I wanted to study the shapes they used for the composition. I found it instead to be a useful lesson in staging - particularily in the cuts with 3 people onscreen (or more). I finished my animation tonight. Hurrah. Oh - I also learned about conflict. I always say that Contrast is everything - but then contrast is a conflict - so maybe then it's conflict that is everything. Except that I treat them both differently. For example, I did this character for our Perf. Art class and he had a conflict between his addictions. That probably means nothing to anybody but me because I haven't gone on to explain anything but I am so tired that I'm going to say goodnight. right there. right at the end of a sentence wihtout further elaboration. So good night, and if you are as dissatisfied as me with these sketches - just look at yesterdays... I should have posted some old ones - it would have bought me some time, but it would have been dishonest, and I would not have accomplished my goal.

PS: I forgot to mention. These layouts - though crappy they may be are an experiment. I am setting these up without any kind of thoughts aas to the setting at all. I draw a series of shapes, lines, or arrows that work compositionally, and then I start shaping them into whatever object I feel like ,or it begins to ressemble. I use this frequently with characters, but I am struggling a lot more with layouts. I will keep trying though - I think I could unlock some awesome sketches if I keep it up. I hope. 'night.

1 comment:

-= Gus Kosmopoulos =- said...

memoirs of a geisha was a sweet movie man, there's a scene I'd love to paint (digitally, since I suck the traditional method :D). These are sweet man, that entire movie had some good scenes.

Keep updating!