Thursday, July 17, 2008

Out with the old, In with the new!




Haha Anthrax

Anyways, I've been doing some really sweet studies of Michelangelo's work (I always knew he was the coolest ninja turtle), and wow let me say that guy could sculpt!!! Since this whole modeling thing seems to be something that I am interested in for a career, I have decided to start doing some serious modeling.

Unfortunately the Mick Jagger is not going to be completed - his polyflow was too messed up, and the guys at work felt it was an interesting start, but not good enough - so I'm starting from scratch, and this time I can pretty much guarantee that I am going to make some ginormous mistakes, but if I can pull this off, even poorly, it's going to be a amazing learning experience. Anyways this started from a sketch that I did of a kind of prissy lady with a purse who was eyeballing me strangely for sketching on my lunch break..... aaand I came home and sat down to plan a sculpture, and kind of put two and two together as I was looking through some of the Jeanne D'arc paintings that i have. I read up on her this summer -and whoa - crazy lady, let me say - super neat story.

Well, my wrists are doing the carpal tunnel thing, so Im going to dodge the computer altogether at this point, let alone start modeling, but hopefully tomorrow I can work out some of the flaws in the drapery, and start doing some studies of individual pieces of armour (which I really know nothing about) - but I'm going to model her nude to start, then add all of the armour/drapery on top because a)for some reason that appears to be the trend in the CG community b) I seriously need to practice my anatomy and then once I nail it - show that I can do it c) it might even help me figure out why drapery does it's thing where, as I sculpt it overtop of itself.

Adios!

Sorry for these, super rough, but they are more personal than anything.

No comments: